Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Second Transfer

Today was extremely long.  Actually today started yesterday.  I prepared the departure packets for 9 missionaries to leave as well as pay for their luggage, check them in and print their boarding passes.  All day today was preparing for the 21 new missionaries, 3 of which are Visa waiters, who flew in at 4:00 pm.  Their day was super long too as missionaries usually leave the MTC early in the morning.  They arrived at the Mission Office about 5:45 tonight and we welcomed them with fruit, muffins and of course candy!  The task then was to get copies of their medical cards, driver's licenses and verify family email addresses.  The most important thing we did for their parents was to take a picture of each individual missionary with President and Sister Cleveland.

After everyone left for the Mission Home to have dinner, I started my task of emailing a letter with a picture of each missionary to their parents to show that they arrived safely and were with the Clevelands here in Indiana. The problem is that emailing had never been done before.  In the past, Sister Cleveland called each parent personally and the letter and picture went by mail.  President Cleveland wanted parents to know immediately the welfare of their missionary.

It took me about 45 minutes to actually figure out how to email a letter with a picture. Each letter is a template where the computer fills in the blanks regarding missionary information.  I did one letter and learned that I couldn't attach the picture.  Then tried another way, same thing.  Finally I copied and pasted the edited letter to email and sent it with the picture.  Since the letter was personalized, I had to pay attention to parent names and whether they were together or divorced or had separate email addresses, etc.  It took me about 2 hours but now I know how to do it again in 6 weeks.

Tomorrow is new missionary training.  Part of my role is to conduct the meeting so after observing last transfer, I'm ready to do it now.  The office staff all have their areas to train on including cars, finance, mail, housing, medical, baptisms and referrals.  The most fun is after our meeting when we all meet in the chapel to see how the missionary companionships change.  Out of 250 missionaries, I understand that we will have 180 there for some type of change or transfer.  It is so cool to watch.  President Cleveland will announce a proselyting area and call out the new missionaries for that area.  Both missionaries stand up, find each other, and run and embrace each other.  They will be companions for at least the next 6 weeks until next transfer.  I remember last time I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.  Everyone was so happy!  Can't wait for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment